Thursday, October 8, 2009

Family Guy



For a summary of the most recent Family Guy episode: 'Family Goy' please go to the following link:

http://www.jewishjournal.com/geekheeb/item/family_guy_gets_jewish_makeover_20091005

I admittedly am a really big fan of Family Guy. Much of the humor speaks to my generation (Gen. X), and there were definitely some funny moments in this episode. However I found myself also disappointed in it as well. I think they did a much better job of challenging assumptions about Judaism in their banned episode: "When You Wish upon a Weinstein" as well as to a lesser extent in "Road to Germany."
I also did not particularly appreciate the reference to Shindler's List, which was also referenced in a recent episode of Grey's Anatomy as well, but in a much funnier way (if that is possible).
Needless to say, there are many Jewish writers and at least two lead Jewish actors on the show (Seth Green & Alex Borstein). And the feeling I get is they only have a nominal understanding of their own tradition. There are so many areas to be mined for humor. Why they need to keep going to the basest stereotypes and Holocaust 'humor' is beyond me.
Though I must admit that I did appreciate Stewie of all people reciting the candle blessings for Pesach correctly.
So all in all, I enjoyed a few of the jokes, but mostly I was very much disappointed in the lazy writing in the episode given that it could have been so much better.

No comments: