Monday, January 4, 2010

Moving On

It is with bittersweet emotions that I am writing this article for the Temple Times. I am proud to announce that I have been offered and accepted the position of Senior Rabbi for Har Sinai Congregation in Owings Mills, Maryland. Joy and I are very excited by this new opportunity. But we are also saddened by the prospect of leaving such a wonderful community and home we have found both with Temple Emanu-El and in Tucson.
I can remember when Joy and I first arrived here in Tucson 4 ½ years ago to begin serving as assistant rabbi for Temple Emanu-El. I was nervous to say the least as this was my first full-time pulpit position. I was also following in the very large footsteps of Rabbi David Freelund, who had just moved on to begin working for his own congregation in Massachusetts. It was a transition many of you were nervous about as well, but it seems to have worked out pretty well.
Since our arrival, Joy and I have gotten to know many of you. We have also celebrated with you the birth of our two children Emily and Noah.
There are many accomplishments I am proud of, and to summarize them would be a challenging endeavor. I have thoroughly enjoyed teaching our youth and in our Adult Education Academy. I have found profound meaning and holiness in our worship experiences and lifecycle events together. I have delighted in our collaborative creative endeavors like our Purimspiels, the Comic Book Siddur, and Avanim performances. But perhaps my greatest pleasure has come from getting to spend time with many of you in our warm, historical community.
There are many people who I also would like to thank for guiding me and inspiring me throughout these years. Rabbi Samuel Cohon in particular has been an amazing mentor, guide and friend. Cantorial Soloist Marjorie Hochberg has been a consummate professional and colleague who has just simply been a pleasure to work with. I would also like to thank the many staff and lay leadership for their support and understanding during the exhilarating but exhausting placement process.
But not to worry, there is already a committee in place to begin the process of selecting my successor. It is chaired by Bruce Beyer and if you have any questions or would like to provide him with your input, feel free to contact him.
There will be plenty opportunities to say farewell over the coming months, but until then, I wanted to let you know how I am looking forward to continuing to serve as your rabbi.

2 comments:

1000Words said...

Benjamin, I doubt you remember me, but I used to babysit you and your brother Micah in Baton Rouge. Your parents lived right across the street from me and my family. I'm glad to see that you are successfully following in your father's footsteps, and I know your parents are very proud of you. I hope they and your brother, who was the sweetest little baby, are doing well.

I don't know if you remember living on that cul-de-sac, but it was a nice little neighborhood and all of the kids played together and the neighbors got along real well. One of my favorite memories of that time is when you were playing at my house and I asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up. You said you wanted to be a lizard and eat bugs and lie in the sun! Hilarious! Later you changed your mind and said you wanted to be a CHiP - from the TV show CHiPs.

My parents live near Dallas, about to retire, and I live in Little Rock, Ark., working at a newspaper. I fondly recall those times in Baton Rouge and I hope you have some good recollections too.

My best again to your family

John "Trey" Lynch.

免費看a圖 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.