Thursday, September 1, 2011

Blogging Elul 5771 - Day 4


As you can tell by the numbering, I skipped day 3. I am usually off on Wednesdays and I try my best to make it a priority day for time with my family. I don't always succeed in that regard, but this week, I am pleased to report, was a great day with my family.

In other news, the area I still very much struggle with is in taking care of myself. This seems to be an ongoing issue I unfortunately revisit every Elul.

As I remind myself often, if we do not take care of ourselves first, how can we hope to help repair the community or the greater world? Or as the old Yiddish saying goes, "A BI GEZUNT: So long as you're healthy." For if you are not healthy ...

I am setting some goals forth (again) to get myself on a better path of life, which will I hope, in turn, make me a better husband, father, friend, and rabbi. These include healthier living, being a better listener, and dedicating myself to at least one personal endeavor per day.

As Hillel said in Pirkei Avot 1:14 "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?"

This I think is one of the best themes for this Elul, for any Elul, and for any time of year.

What goals do you have for yourself in this coming year?

No comments: