Friday, December 2, 2011

Random Biblical Trivia


I admit I have been negligent with regards to regular blog posts. Oftentimes I await inspiration rather than set aside the time to blog. And of course the days and weeks get away from me before I realize that I haven't blogged in ages.

In looking through my posts, I realize I often will try to be topical from a Jewish perspective. And on very rare occasions, I am just random. But blogging, I feel, is like exercise or prayer, in that the only way to be effective, I have to commit to it on a regular basis.

All that being said, I have decided, if I am short on ideas, I'll at least post some random Jewish trivia, which hopefully will brighten your day. And if not, at least help you if ever you are on Jeopardy!

Today's random trivia: The Hebrew Bible, also known as the Tanakh or Tanaach (for Torah, Neviim - Prophets, and Ketuvim - Writings) has 39 books in it. However according to the Talmud, this number is reduced to 24 (joining together the likes of I and II Samuel, and so on).

The longest book in the Tanakh is Psalms with 150 chapters, 2461 verses, 43,743 words.

The shortest is Ovadia (one of the 12 Minor Prophets - only called Minor because of how little we have of their works) at 1 chapter, 21 verses, 670 words.

And the only book that does not directly mention God's name is the book of Esther, of Purim fame.

Good luck on Trivial Pursuit or Jeopardy. And if you win, let me know.

1 comment:

Paul Kipnes said...

Worthwhile trivia.
I'll commit it to memory.
NOT.
But interesting nonetheless.