Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Blogging Elul - At Least You Have Your Health




For those of you following this blog, you might have noticed that I have not posted in the past couple of days.  The simple reason is because we had an unfortunate virus run rampant through my family.  I will leave out the gory details, but we all seem to be on the mend. But it did remind me of importance of physical well being.

As the old Yiddish phrase teaches, "abi gazunt," which means, "at least you have your health."

Or to quote from one of my favorite movies the Princess Bride, "Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped."
Count Rugen (in response), "Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything."

During this time of Elul, and during our lives in general, it is often easy to get lost and forget the most important part of our lives, namely ourselves.  If we fail to take care of ourselves physically, morally, and spiritually, we are often unable to take care of anyone or anything else.  

As we seek forgiveness from others, we should also take time to seek forgiveness from ourselves for the ways we did not fully take care of ourselves.

And once we do, we can return to pathways of holy living.  We can do this by trying to eat a little better, exercise a little more, learn something new, love ourselves as we are not as we compare ourselves to a commercialized ideal, sleep a little more, wash our hands a little more often, nap on occasion, broaden our horizons, and live life a little more fully.

To quote again from the six-fingered man, "if you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything."
Abi Gazunt!


No comments: